Friday, February 09, 2007

The Disaster of the Shrug


Here's a photo of the Olivia's Shrug from the Lion Brand website, made out of Berroco Pronto. O.K., so either I didn't read the pattern right (although I've looked at it & re-read it a million times) or the pattern is written badly. As you can see the back is very long and the front is nothing but the collar. Nowhere in the pattern does it have you make anything more than the collar - as a matter of fact, the directions for the "Front/Collar" are only 5 rows long for the Medium size. It's so disappointing! However, it really didn't take long to do, so what I think I'm going to do is rip it out and make the back only as long as the front, and I'll make the sleeves longer (their mid-forearm length now). Plus, I'll make it in the Large size, because it's too small for me (my daughter is modelling it -under duress - in the photo). Then I'll have a true shrug - although not the one pictured at Lion Brand's site. Can't decide if I should notify them of the goofiness of their pattern. We'll see...
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura,
I am glad to see that someone else had the same problem I did with this shrug. Thought it was soooo cute, but unraveled it so many times I am wearing the yarn out. If you figured it out, please let me know!

Barb
pikegirl@inebraska.com

No web page at this time

Anonymous said...

Laura -
We're sorry about the difficulty you're having with our pattern.
I'm the technical editor at Lion Brand and would be glad to assist you. I've left my phone number with your shop and I look forward to hearing from you.
Jackie Smyth

Laura said...

I want to let everyone know that I talked to Jackie at Lion Brand today, and she was very helpful. I'm willing to try the pattern again... But it may be a while before I can do it.