Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Crochet Mania

Well, I'm getting ready to make my trip to Phoenix for P.F. Chang's Rock and Roll Marathon this Sunday. I'm a little nervous because I have a nagging cough from my cold last week. I'm hoping it will clear up enough to at least let me sleep well the night before the race... In the meantime, I'm trying to find a crochet project to take along with me. I already have a knitting project to take (my Sunrise Circle Jacket), but I wanted a crochet one for the plane particularly. I'm planning on making the cute little Asian-inspired jacket from Candi Jensen's 'Candy Babies.'
I'm having trouble picking a yarn to do it in, though. I've tried a couple of different yarns but I'm not happy with anything yet.

I first tried Utopia (far right), since acrylic is so easy to deal with for a new Mom. Oh, but I can't stand working with it! So then, I tried Cotton Twist by Berocco, but it doesn't have enough loft to fill in the gaps in the crochet - I want the fabric to be less holey, more solid. Next I'm going to try Bazic Wool by Classic Elite (100% superwash wool). If that doesn't work, I'll try Plymouth's Suri Merino (65% alpaca, 35% merino), then Classic Elite's Duchess (merino/viscose/cashmere/nylon/angora).
I also bought yarn for a crochet sweater for me, but I don't have the right size hook yet, so that will have to wait.

No comments: