Monday, January 15, 2007

The Big Day

Well, I did it! I "ran" the marathon. "Ran" is in quotes because the last six miles, I probably walked more than I ran! SIGH! But, I made it. Here are some photos - the first at mile 8 or so when Tom saw me for the first time and the second at the end with my coach, Mike Trudeau (who was great!).






It was a long, hard run in surprisingly cold weather - I think it was in the upper 20s or lower 30s at the start and probably in the upper 40s at the end. Kind of that in-between weather that it's hard to dress for... And, today, the day after, I'm a little sore but not too bad... My official race time was 6:05. My personal GPS watch (which pauses whenever I stop) came in at about 5:55. I had to stop at port-a-potties a few times and at a medical station for blister relief once, so that's where the difference came in. I wanted to run the marathon in 5:45, but I'm happy - especially since I was feeling so icky during those last six miles (nauseous, depleted).



O.K. - on to other stuff. On Saturday night, Team in Training hosts a pasta party for all of their participants. There is a program which includes John "the Penguin" Bingham and other things. During that program, the top ten fundraisers for the event are honored - and I was #1! I was surprised and a bit embarrassed. The head of Elite Racing said I had collected more money than any other single person in any of their events (or something along those lines). I had to go on stage to accept a sterling silver pendant and say a few words! I was given a special TNT #1 fundraiser bib to wear on the back of my jersey, which you can see in the 1st photo above. Plus, they kept giving me "gifts" - a TNT beach towel, a TNT teddy bear, a TNT water bottle, a Nike Watch, a PF Chang's Rock N Roll Marathon backpack, etc. Before the pasta party my door was adorned with a big purple star:



One of the best parts of the whole event was having Tom out on the course to cheer me on. He was able to meet up with me three times on the course - which is amazing in & of itself. Plus, he was there at the finish when I crossed the line. When I did the Nike marathon, Tom's sister Kristin was with me at the finish, and I didn't think I was going to have anyone here this time. Tom got his ticket just a week ago, and I'm so glad he did! It made the finish and everything else so much sweeter!

Over the next few days, I hope to get more photos of my camera and more photos from my teammates that I can post on my blog... Also, for those of you that are here because of my knitting content, I will post some photos soon from Phoenix Knit and Needlepoint which I visited on Saturday and photos of my almost finished crocheted baby sweater.

No comments: