Monday, April 30, 2007

Forgive Me

Oops! I've forgotten to post anything... Really, I just haven't had time. I've been too busy knitting and crocheting and working and chauffeuring the kids and ... Well, you get the idea.

I'm excited to report that 3 Kittens is getting Pam Gillette, the owner of the blog Knotty Generation, to teach some fun and fabulous crochet classes. We're meeting with her again tomorrow to figure out exactly which classes we want to put on the schedule over the next few months and into fall... I personally want to take every class she does!

Here's one of my latest forays into crochet. I'm trying to copy a woven bowl that my mother-in-law did while she was in college:
I just fell in love with the shape of the bowl. The colors are great too, but I only wanted to use a single hand-dyed yarn rather than several solids, so I decided to use Noro Kureyon in my attempt to copy the bowl using crochet. I worked on the bowl in front of my computer so I could type in the pattern as I went. I made it fairly loose, because I thought felting it would be a good idea. So, here's my first attempt at the covered bowl (please keep in mind it's a first attempt!):


Sad, huh?? O.K., so I've bought some more Kureyon (different colorway), and I'm going to have another go at it. I've decided not to try to felt it, because I think the fabric was pretty nice before felting. And, I will be doing it on much smaller needles to get a denser, more sturdy fabric that hopefully will hold the shape of the bowl better. Wish me luck!

I'm also working on a Twinkle pattern from the current issue of Vogue Knitting. Of course, Vogue doesn't have a photo of that particular sweater on their website, but it's coming along very quickly. All of the Twinkle patterns do, since the designer only uses big needles and her own yarn (now that she has a line of yarns through Classic Elite). The sweater that I'm making uses 4 strands of Twinkle Cruise, a cotton/silk blend on size 13 needles. Unfortunately, Twinkle generally doesn't design for "big girls," so this sweater won't fit me, but it will look good in the store!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Love the shape of the bowl, very cool!

I'm thrilled to be working with you, Cis, Julie, and your wonderful staff at 3K!!