Thursday, July 12, 2007

Crocheted Bowl #3



The 3rd rendition of the crocheted bowl didn’t turn out too well, either – at least not how I had hoped it would! It’s not terrible, just not right. Not only did the bead wire not work exactly as hoped, but I still can’t seem to get the shaping right so it will look like my MIL’s bowl. I need to have a much steeper decrease after the widest part… I went to the local craft store and picked up some hollow tubing that is used to make those plastic tube bracelets that teenagers wear, and I’m trying the 4th version with that. I will work on the shaping again, too.


Here’s a needlepoint canvas that I’ve been doing. It’s 13 mesh. I’m using primarily Silk & Ivory threads with some Kreinik braid and Rainbow Gallery Frosty Rays for the bird and other things. I think it’s rather cute!
I have a few (!) other projects I'm working on which I'll show over the next few posts.
Hey, has anyone seen the new Harry Potter movie? I'm going tomorrow - I hope!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am working at a craft/knitting store. I love this job, and I want to somehow knit (can't crochet, Yet) a med. shaped non felted bowl.

The bowl you have done is lovely, and I am very interested in the materials that you use to stiffen your bowl. Keep at it, and you will get exactly what you are after.

I could felt, but I realy don't care for the feel of felted projects.

I will look in on you again, and see how you are doing.

Laura said...

Thanks for the compliment. I haven't given up on the project yet, but I have put it aside for a while. Not even sure I can find the notes I made to recreate the shape. I'll have to look. The most recent one I tried used a jewelry cord of some kind, but I'm not sure I like the effect... It would be a little more difficult to add something like the jewelry cord or wire to a knitted bowl; however, there are some lovely knitted and felted bowls out there that hold their shape well. Not sure how it could be done without felting, unless you could use some kind of frame inside the basket to hold it up.

Good luck in your efforts. Make sure to check out www.ravelry.com, as I'm sure there are many examples of knitted bowls on there.

Unknown said...

I have started (or at least trying to) make my own bowl, but what a mess. I don't read patterns nor do i know all the terms or understand all of them, so i kinda just have to do it my self, i have watched many videos on youtub, but still not sure what i am doing wrong.

your bowl looks great by the way, nice colors. :)

p.s. how come you don't have the option to "follow" you? I would love to add you to my list of followers.